Monday, November 1, 2010

Pork Wellington

Although it is halloween season, that wonderful time of candy, pumpkins and slutty costumes, we still refuse to make anything sweet. Again, not that we don't like sweets. It's just that the burger cake scars run deep. So in the spirit of the spooky festivities, we decided to do a little dressing up instead. While pork loins are normal and delicious any other day of the year, we dressed our little guy up in a pretty kick-ass puff pastry costume. The only thing left to do is make it wear its winter coat and take it trick-or-treating. And then eat it. For ingredients, you will need: pork loin, puff pastry, prosciutto, mustard, apples and spices.



1. Create a spice rub of your choice and rub pork loin. We used a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Puree 1 apple and mix in some cinnamon and lemon juice. Cut the loin in half lengthwise and spread apple puree between two halves.




2. Evenly lay out slices of prosciutto so that they overlap. Wrap loin tightly with prosciutto.






3. Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and lay out puff pastry. Spread mustard evenly in the middle and wrap the loin.






4. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes.





The final product didn't turn out exactly as planned... they kinda got stuck to the foil because we forgot to grease it. Also, pork wellington is pretty much a giant pig-in-a-blanket.


- us

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits and learning to cook, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

    I’ve started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete